History

The History of The Offices at The Agora

The Building

The Agora first opened on March 31, 1913, as the Metropolitan Theatre, with a performance of Aida. By 1932, the venue had turned into a vaudeville/burlesque house hosting “hoofers, comics and strippers.” Later, the venue became known as the Bijou Theatre, the Cleveland Grande, and then the Disastodrome. In the early 1980s, it briefly reopened as the New Hippodrome Theatre showing movies. Cleveland became the home of Rock ‘n Roll at The Agora. While hosting a variety of radio stations from 1951-1978, including WHK, it was here that Cleveland disc jockey Alan Freed first coined the phrase “Rock ‘n’ Roll” for the world.

The Legend of The Agora:

A fire at The Cleveland Agora on 24th Street in late 1984 spurred the move to the current location at 5000 Euclid Ave. the following year. The Agora officially re-opened its doors in late 1985 and has been going strong ever since. No longer a dance club for college students, The Agora grew to become one of the premiere venues in the country to see new and established acts.

The Agora was voted the No. 1 rock club in the country by Billboard Magazine, and was given the same distinction by author and Rolling Stone editor Dave Marsh in his best-selling “Book of Lists.” The Agora has also received countless awards within the City of Cleveland honoring it as the best place in the city to see a live show and best rock club. But, The Agora is more than a rock club; it is a significant part of music history that will continue the tradition for many years to come.

The current Agora was the site of a live recording on the 1996 reissue of Patti Smith's “Horses” album. The present-day Agora has two rooms: a 500-person capacity, standing-room-only ballroom with adjoining bar, and an 1800-seat historic theater and stage.

Contact us today to learn more about the history of The Offices at The Agora

3